Gunman Killed After Opening Fire Near the White House
- by Sarah, Washington, RNG247
- about 5 hours ago
- 96 views
A tense and frightening scene unfolded near the White House on Saturday evening after a gunman opened fire close to one of the most heavily guarded areas in the United States. Secret Service agents quickly responded, exchanging gunfire with the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
According to officials, the shooting happened shortly before 6:00 PM local time near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, DC, close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Witnesses said the area suddenly erupted into chaos when a man pulled a handgun from his bag and began firing near a White House checkpoint.
Secret Service officers stationed nearby immediately returned fire and struck the suspect. Emergency crews rushed to the scene within minutes. The gunman was taken to hospital, where doctors later confirmed his death.
Authorities identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Law enforcement sources said he was already known to both the Secret Service and the Metropolitan Police Department. Reports revealed he had a documented history of mental health struggles and had previously come into contact with authorities after allegedly attempting to approach the White House in 2025. Following that incident, he reportedly spent time receiving psychiatric treatment.
Investigators believe Best had been living in Washington, DC, for around 18 months before the shooting.
One innocent bystander was also injured during the exchange of gunfire. Officials have not yet released details about the victim’s condition, but confirmed that no Secret Service officers were hurt during the incident.
At the time of the shooting, President Donald Trump was inside the White House. Officials said the president was never in immediate danger and that security operations continued without disruption.
In a statement posted on social media, Trump praised the Secret Service and law enforcement officers for their rapid response.
“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House,” he wrote.
The president also referenced growing security concerns surrounding the White House following another recent shooting incident that disrupted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner just one month earlier. He stressed the importance of strengthening security measures around the presidential complex.
The sudden gunfire caused panic among journalists and staff members working on the White House grounds. Reporters who were outside at the time said they heard multiple shots and were immediately ordered to run for safety.
Several journalists described diving to the ground as Secret Service agents shouted instructions to move indoors. Members of the press were quickly escorted into the White House briefing room, where they remained locked down for nearly half an hour while officers secured the area.
Some reporters who had been filming live broadcasts captured the terrifying sounds of gunshots echoing across the North Lawn. Videos shared online showed journalists scrambling for cover as emergency sirens filled the streets nearby.
Witnesses described the area as busy but not overcrowded, with nearby cafes and restaurants still open during the weekend evening rush.
As investigators worked through the night, roads around the White House remained closed while authorities gathered evidence and reviewed surveillance footage.
Political leaders from both parties later praised the Secret Service for preventing what could have become a far more deadly attack. Senate Majority Leader John Thune thanked officers for their bravery, while House Speaker Mike Johnson offered prayers for those injured in the shooting.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing.


0 Comment(s)